- Toys without batteries invite open-ended play – the type of play that fosters creativity and inspires a child to imagine the countless possibilities for that toy.
- Natural toys allow for “downtime.” It’s difficult for a child to switch gears from a very active toy to resting, whereas simple toys allow for a natural progression.
- Toys with battery-generated special effects can over-stimulate children. The combination of blinking lights, loud sounds and automated movement can be too much information for a small child to process.
- Pressing a button to produce sounds and make lights blink only teaches simple cause and effect and passes up a wonderful opportunity to encourage more creative play on the child’s part.
- The environment is completely different in a room with natural toys than in a room with battery-operated plastic toys – quieter, more beautiful, and inviting in a very different way, and the child is calmer- and more creative- because of it.
- Studies have shown that certain plastics may negatively affect a child’s health due to the chemicals used to produce them and because of children’s small size and their propensity to “mouth” or cuddle everything, plastic and non-organic products, could pose serious health threats to children.
- Natural toys are durable so they last longer than their plastic counterparts and therefore there is less waste. When the time does come to retire the toys, they are recyclable, replenishable resources so their disposal will be gentle to our Earth.
Pleasant Street Preschool toys and supplies are purchased from the many wonderful companies that share our interest in protecting the environment. If you would like a list of our suppliers please see the director.